WINNER OF OUR ITALIAN RECIPE CONTEST! (December 2011)
Name: Ed Vallorani (Ballwin, MO)
Region of Origin: Campobasso, Italy
Ed Vallorani’s Gavazzoni Recipe
Passed down from his grandmother who has roots in Province Campobasso.
Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 1 hour
|I can (1lb.)||chickpeas|
Grind each ingredient above separately and place in large bowl.
|1 ½ cups||sugar|
|1 ¾ sups||Carnation instant chocolate malted milk|
|2 cups||bread crumbs|
|1 ½ oz.||whiskey|
Place all in bowl with ground ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll out dough. Cut into circles using a 3” diameter cutter.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of filling on each circle.
- Fold over and press edges with floured fork to seal closure.
- Prick top of cookie with fork.
- Deep fry over medium-high heat for 4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels after frying
Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving